Key ideas that we can teach children about heaven
Talk about heaven with your children--at the dinner table, at bedtime, or in family worship. This kind of discussion helps everyone to remember that life is forever and to think from the perspective of eternity.
Little ones can be taught:
- Heaven is the Lord’s home.
- It is a beautiful place with gentle animals and lovely gardens.
- Good people go to heaven and are called angels.
When children are older, they can learn that:
- When we are ready, we go to heaven to be with the Lord.
- Good people go to heaven, and bad people go to hell.
- People in heaven are called angels, and people in hell are called evil spirits.
- Angels protect us from harm—especially when we are sleeping.
Ideas for teenagers include:
- The purpose of creation is a heaven from the human race.
- The Lord protects our freedom to choose heaven or hell.
- To enter heaven, we must look to the Lord and be spiritually “reborn.” This is a gradual process.
- The Lord doesn’t put people in hell, but some people choose hell by the evil choices they make while on earth.
- The choices we make on earth have eternal consequences.
Resources for all ages
- “What Heaven Is Like” a story by Sheila Daum (ages 4-6)
A story about heaven with color illustrations by Marguerite Acton. Heaven is filled with good people who love the Lord, and it is more beautiful than anything we can imagine.
- “People Cannot Die” by Peter M. Buss, Sr. (ages 4-10)
An article explaining that after death, people wake up in the spiritual world and live there forever.
- Imagine What Heaven Is Like (ages 4-10)
What does this painting tell you about heaven? What do you think heaven looks like? If you were making a picture of heaven, what would you show there?
- You Will Show Me the Path of Life (ages 3-10)
Color the flowers and butterflies along the pathway to heaven, then draw the Lord at the top of the path.
- Children Explore a Garden in Heaven by Lisa S. Buss (ages 7-14)
A lovely coloring page showing two children exploring a woodland path in heaven.
- Prayers for children on Eternal Life (ages 7-14)
Illustrated prayers for children, asking the Lord to lead them to heaven.
- Life Is Eternal Prayers (ages 18 and up)
Two prayers with a lovely border of butterflies.
Sign up to receive notification when new highlights like this are published. Subscribe.